August 30, 2023
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Corporate Controller to work at our head office location.
Why join our team?
- Work for a reputable and nationally known company
- Work in a challenging and rewarding work environment
- Employer paid professional development
- A comprehensive benefits package
- Generous paid time off, holidays and sick days
- Retirement plans with company matching of employee contributions
- Employee discount programs, social outings and holiday gatherings
- Free parking
About the Role
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Corporate Controller is responsible and accountable to manage all accounting services at Commissionaires Ottawa and Commissionaires Ottawa Security and Consulting Corp (COSAC) as well as for internal controls to ensure accurate reporting and safeguarding of assets for Commissionaires Ottawa and all subsidiaries. The position oversees the accounts payable, accounts receivable, general accounting and financial analyses functions. This includes the management of all assigned resources, both human and material to maintain the integrity of financial systems controls. In addition, the Corporate Controller assists with budget preparation, financial management, cash management, financial analysis, and other strategic-level responsibilities as assigned.
Experience with complex accounting systems (i.e Microsoft Dynamics GP) is required. You have good business acumen, exceptional communication skills both verbal and written. You are well organized and utilize effective time management skills to meet deadlines. You have very strong computer skills (particularly in Microsoft Excel). Your skills and interests align with a dynamic team driven by the mission and comfortable operating at a strategic and operating level.
- Manages the accounting function (including AR, AP and FP&A) which encompasses the direction and oversight of the work of the accounting staff
- Establishes and monitors work performance, assigns tasks and appropriate deadlines, provides leadership, training and support and participates in the recruitment process and performance reviews
- Provides leadership, guidance, coaching and management of assigned staff and resources. Ensure staff are appropriately cross-trained
- Reviews the monthly financial statements, and associated financial analyses and investigations prior to distribution to CFO and other senior management
- Ensures the proper function of all financial systems and the accuracy of all accounting records, including accounts payable, accounts receivable and the general ledger in compliance with legislative and GAAP requirements
- Is involved in coordinating integrated accounting/payroll system functional needs and processes with the Payroll Manager
- Develops and implements internal control policies and procedures for the use of accounting software, and coordinating hardware, systems support, and network needs with the IT branch. Responsible for overall control environment integrity for the Commissionaires Ottawa Group of Companies.
- Develops accounting policies and procedures in keeping with corporate objectives and GAAP and legislative requirements for Commissionaires Ottawa group of companies
- Works with clients, department heads, other Divisional financial staff and financial and service related suppliers to resolve issues, develop relationships and create solutions for new requirements that are a result of contractual changes, new/changed legislation, and/or other information requirements
- Responsible for annual external audit and preparation of the annual financial report for approval by CFO
Professional / Technical Requirements
- As the ideal candidate, you have a professional accounting designation (CPA/CA/CMA/CGA) and a post-secondary degree in Commerce or Business Admin (accounting concentration)
- Accounting Diploma with designation and significant relevant experience will be considered
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in a senior financial role and 5 years of general accounting experience (Full accounting cycle)
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory/leadership experience (leading a team of at least 4)
- Experience with complex accounting systems (i.e Microsoft Dynamics/GP) and the Microsoft Office suite with advanced knowledge of spreadsheets
- Expert knowledge of GAAP
- Knowledge of payroll procedures and legislative requirements
- Experience with UKG (desirable)
- Experience with systems implementation considered an asset
- Able to obtain a Secret Security Clearance
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, in English with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Able to prioritise workloads effectively, meet deadlines in a fast-paced, high volume environment, while maintaining compliance and regulatory standards
- Highly effective people leadership and performance management (motivational, interpersonal and mentoring) skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with a high concentration on attention to detail
- Adept at organizing resources and managing change
- Strong planning, organisational ability and self management skills
- Aptitude for numerical work
- Uses initiative to achieve desired results
- An understanding of the need for complete confidentiality at all times
- Able to manage high volume processing and very demanding deadlines
If we’re the right fit for you, we want to hear from you! Send us your resume and cover letter today at [email protected] !
NOTE: Only those candidates that meet the specified requirements will be considered for this position. Candidates that do not meet the requirements may be considered for similar opportunities.
Commissionaires values the diversity of our workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender and age.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Commissionaires’ Policies on Accommodation, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of Commissionaires’ hiring process.
We appreciate all who apply, however we will only be contacting candidates of interest.