Newfoundland & Labrador
June 7, 2023
Full Time 40 per week
Commissionaires’ NL provides 24/7 security services to the St. John’s Port Authority. The St. John’s Port Authority is Newfoundland and Labrador’s primary container terminal. The port services Newfoundland’s offshore oil & fishing industry’s, cruise ship industry, marine maintenance and repair. This is a high profile position while providing security to the St. John’s Port Authority, you will also be interacting with a large number of tourist during your shifts. This position would be suited for someone who has an interest in tourism or security related fields. Please note this is a seasonal position from August 14th – October 16th. The hours of work depend on the schedule of the cruise ships, this position requires someone who is flexible if changes to the schedule occur due to weather or mechanical issues for example. Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions for extended periods of time.
WHO WE ARE
Commissionaires NL is the province’s not-for-profit provider of security, safety, training, and identification services. We are an independent member of Commissionaires Canada, our parent federation employing over 22,000 nationwide. We exist to provide meaningful employment for veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces and RCMP, their families, and anyone else who wants to contribute to the security and well-being of Newfoundland & Labrador.
We are recognized with global certifications for our exceptional customer service, management standards, and environmental stewardship.
WHAT WE OFFER
A sought-after employer and community partner, we can help you achieve your goals through challenging work, professional development, and career advancement opportunities. We strive to continually improve and leverage technology to support our growing customer base across Newfoundland & Labrador.
- Higher-than-industry pay rates
- Health & drug benefits for eligible employees
- Free uniforms and equipment
- High-quality, formal, and on-job training
- Annual paid loyalty award
- Advancement opportunities within a large, national organization
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities in this security-related role may include, but are not limited to:
- The security and safety of people, property, and information at the St. John’s Port Authority
- Managing the Schedule and staffing for the cruise ships
- Submitting bi-weekly time sheets
- Liaise with Client regularly
- Access control
- Exterior patrols in all weather conditions
- Reporting writing
- Emergency management
- Radio use
- Perform other duties as required
WHO WE’RE SEEKING
- Be professional, reliable and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- Have an interest in tourism or security related fields and enjoy interacting with people
- Be able to communicate effectively
- Be able to obtain a clear police conduct and security clearance through Transport Canada. Must be in Canada 5 years to apply for Transport Canada clearance.
- Be able to complete Commissionaire security officer course
- Be able to complete extended foot patrols
- First aid
- Basic computer skills
- Driver’s license
- Full availability
- Previous experience in law enforcement an asset
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
The selected candidate will be professional and detail driven individual with a strong work ethic and “can do” attitude. Both physical and mental fitness is required. This often involves working in all types of environment conditions at varying times throughout the day or night.
Key qualifications and skills to be successful include but are not limited to:
- Mental alertness with ability to:
- React calmly, quickly, and appropriately in any crisis
- Concentrate and remain alert for up to 12 hours
- Communicate observed characteristics/behaviours
- Demonstrate problem-solving and sound judgement
- Physical fitness with ability to:
- Navigate uneven terrain during foot patrols (in all weather conditions)
- Superior attention to detail with very good verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Computer literacy, and/or an aptitude to learn is an asset
READY TO JOIN US?
This position is open to external and internal applicants.
Commissionaires NL is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applicants from equity seeking communities to self-identify.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.