Enjoy the rewards of working with Commissionaires. Work alongside experienced people in diverse and interesting job opportunities.
- Higher-than-industry pay rates
- Health, drug and dental benefits
- Life and accident insurance
- Paid personal time off, in addition to vacation leave
- Free uniforms and equipment
- Free high-quality formal and on-job training
- Education assistance funds and family scholarship programs
- Advancement opportunities within a large, national organization
Duties & Responsibilities
While duties vary by assignment, the duties and responsibilities in this security-related role may include, but are not limited to:
- The security and safety of people, property, and information
- On-foot perimeter and search patrols, inside and out-of-doors
- Alarm and security system monitoring and response
- Ensuring the health and safety of self and others in the workplace
- Adherence to CNS’ health, safety, environmental and quality policies and systems and practices
- Adherence to CNS’ Policies, Site Work Instructions, and Site Supervisor’s direction
- Functions include patrolling, reception and administration, reporting, emergency management and access control
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Able to obtain a Government of Canada Security Clearance
- 19+ years old
Qualifications & Skills
As a security officer, you will require both physical and mental fitness. This often involves work in all types of environmental conditions, at all times of the day or night. Qualifications for success in this role include, but are not limited to:
- Mental alertness to include: ability to react calmly, quickly and appropriately in a crisis situation, ability to concentrate and remain alert for up to 12 hours, a good memory and ability to communicate observed characteristics/behaviours, and demonstrated sound judgement and problem-solving ability
- Physical fitness to include: ability to navigate multiple flights of stairs with ease, ability to navigate uneven terrain to conduct foot patrols in all weather conditions, good dexterity and balance, good vision and hearing, and superior attention to detail, including ability to hear, observe, or smell changes to the work environment
- Good verbal communication and customer service skills
- Willingness to contribute to a team
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, prioritize, and adapt to change
- Computer literacy, and/or an aptitude to learn is an asset
- Ability and willingness to successfully obtain a first aid certificate
- Ability and willingness to successfully complete CNS’ Security Officer Course
- Bilingualism (French/English) is an asset
Commissionaires is Canada's premier security provider: for more than 90 years, we have protected people and property across Canada. Commissionaires is a federation of private, not-for-profit Canadian companies with the highest retention rate in the industry, currently employing more than 22,000 people nationally.
Commissionaires Nova Scotia (CNS) is an independent member of the federation that is dedicated to providing meaningful employment opportunities to former members of the Canadian Armed Forces, RCMP, and appropriately qualified others who want to contribute to the safety and security of Canadians. With 1,500 employees across the province, we serve government and the private sector in a wide range of roles.
READY TO JOIN US?
Commissionaires Nova Scotia is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.