January 24th, 2018
On this day in 1938, our Nova Scotia Division opened it’s doors for business. Here are eight fun-facts to commemorate it’s 80th birthday:
- On January 24, 1938, CNS officially began with only 20 men, all former members of the permanent force. Since then, it’s expanded to approximately 1,600 employees – both veterans and non-veterans.
- CNS was originally titled the “H” Division until March 28, 1952.
- The Nova Scotia Division was incorporated by an act of the Nova Scotia provincial legislature in 1955.
- Elsie Herman was welcomed as the first woman to be enrolled into the Division in 1972.
- 1997 – The Nova Scotia Division received its International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 9001 certification, marking the first security company of its kind in North America to achieve this recognition.
- 2000 – CNS was approved as an authorized agency by the RCMP to take fingerprints.
- CNS achieved ISO 14001:2015 registration (Environmental Management System), in 2017.
- In Fall 2017, a brand new Headquarters was opened in Bedford, NS after 50 years at the historic Black-Binney House in downtown Halifax.
Happy Birthday, CNS! Cheers to the next 80 years.
Left image: A tally of employee growth since the inception of Commissionaires Nova Scotia
Right image: July 10, 1970. The MacKay Bridge was officially opened; approximately 30 commissionaires were originally employed by this bridge. Today over 60 commissionaires continue to perform safety and security duties at both the MacKay and MacDonald Bridge sites.