August 17th, 2023
This year’s recipients are all family members of serving commissionaires. They represent some of Nova Scotia’s finest youths, with impressive academic resumes, a high level of community involvement, and great aspirations for the future.
Each of the following students was presented with $2,000 to assist with their studies:
Ryan Hennessey of Truro, NS
- 1st year at Medavie HealthEd, studying primary care paramedicine
- CNS Sponsor: Gerry Hopkins (grandfather), commissionaire at RCMP Headquarters
Joshua Pittman of Dartmouth, NS
- 1st year at Saint Mary’s University, studying criminology
- CNS Sponsor: Robert Pittman (father), commissionaire with Detail 85
Hannah Stilwell of Lower Sackville, NS
- 1st year at Mount Allison University, studying music
- CNS Sponsor: David Stilwell (grandfather), commissionaire at DND Dockyard
Cailyn Asprey of Lower Sackville, NS
- 3rd year at Saint Mary’s University, studying criminology
- CNS Sponsor: Sherri Asprey (mother), Atlantic Operations Centre dispatcher
Brooke Williston of Bible Hill, NS
- 1st year at the University of New Brunswick, studying nursing
- CNS Sponsor: Harold Williston (father), CNS Northern District Manager
Matthew Mahon of Halifax, NS
- 3rd year at Dalhousie University, studying microbiology and immunology
- CNS Sponsor: Michael Mahon (father), commissionaire at Cobequid Pass
The CNS Board of Governors administers the Commissionaires Nova Scotia Educational Awards program to provide post-secondary funding for commissionaires and their dependents (spouses, children, and grandchildren of serving commissionaires).
We issue a call for applications each spring. Funding is awarded to successful applicants before the start of the school year. Both full-time and part-time students are eligible.
We wish this year’s recipients the very best of luck with their studies. We look forward to hearing about their successes and watching the development of tomorrow’s leaders.