September 1st, 2021
Six deserving students are heading back to class with $2,000 academic scholarships from Commissionaires Nova Scotia (CNS).
Here is the full list of 2021/22 recipients:
• Willow McKeith – 2nd year at Nova Scotia Community College, Welding. Willow is a serving commissionaire and has worked at various sites across Halifax over the past two years. Willow plans to continue working security part-time while studying this fall.
• Kayden Smith – 1st year at St. Mary’s University, Bachelor of Commerce
Sponsor: Gerald “Rick” Smith (grandfather), One Government Place. Kayden was joined by his mother, Robyn Smith, and his grandparents, Rick and Paula Smith.
• Brody Dick – 2nd year at University of Guelph, Environmental Science
Sponsor: Michael Dawdy (grandfather), Summer Gardens. Brody’s award was accepted on his behalf by his grandparents – Mike and Marilyn Dawdy.
• Elena Egamino – 1st year at St. Francis Xavier University, Bachelor of Science (Nursing) Sponsor: Gilbert Egamino (father), Provincial Building Mailroom. Elena was joined by her father, Gilbert.
• Ava Hennessey – 1st year at Dalhousie University, Bachelor of Science (Radiological Technology)
Sponsor: Gerald Hopkins (grandfather), RCMP HQ
• Alberta Williston – 1st year at St. Francis Xavier University, Bachelor of Arts (Sociology)
Sponsor: Harold Williston (father), Northern District Manager
The recipients were presented their scholarships at CNS regional offices last week. Earlier this year, CNS introduced enhancements to its Educational Awards program, including:
– a dedicated Diversity Scholarship, recognizing that minority groups continue to face barriers in accessing higher education
– expanded eligibility, with serving commissionaires now eligible to apply (this was previously restricted to family members)
– increased monetary amount, with each award now worth $2,000 (previously $1,500)
The scholarship program is part of the overall benefits package for CNS employees. Applications are evaluated and recipients are selected each year by the CNS Human Resources Committee.
|L-R: Doug Ruck, Board Governor and Chair, CNS HR Committee; Cmre Willow McKeith|
|L-R: Paula Smith; Robyn Smith; Kayden Smith; Doug Ruck, Board Governor and Chair, CNS HR Committee; Cmre Gerald “Rick” Smith|
|L-R: A/Cmre Joanne Crampton, CNS Board Governor; Cmre Mike Dawdy; Marilyn Dawdy; Doug Ruck, Board Governor and Chair, CNS HR Committee|
|L-R: Gilbert Egamino; Elena Egamino; Doug Ruck, Board Governor and Chair, CNS HR Committee|
|L-R: Harold Williston, CNS Northern District Manager; Ava Hennessey; Cmre Gerald Hopkins; Allison Hennessey|
|L-R: Alberta Williston; Harold Williston, CNS Northern District Manager|