August 29th, 2023
Students across Canada are receiving valuable support from Commissionaires to pursue their educational dreams. This academic year, four recipients are the children or grandchildren of commissionaires, while six are active commissionaires themselves.
“We wish this year’s recipients the best of luck on their educational journey,” said Dave Madeira, Chair, Commissionaires National Honours and Awards Committee. “We look forward to hearing about their accomplishments in the future!”
Since the Commissionaires National Bursary Program was launched in 2022, the number of bursaries has doubled. The following ten recipients were awarded $2,500 this year.
Alex McPherson from Great Lakes Division
- Algonquin College, Police Foundations
Alexandra Randolph from Nova Scotia Division
- Dalhousie University, International Development Studies
Gorad Muhumed from Great Lakes Division
- University of Guelph, International Development Studies
Luis Mananzan from North Saskatchewan Division
- University of Saskatchewan, Bachelor of Education
Nelly Njakou from Quebec Division
- Laval University, Bachelor of Industrial Engineering
Susan Rose from Manitoba Division
- Assiniboine Community College, Public Safety Program
COMMISSIONAIRES FAMILY MEMBER RECIPIENTS
- University of King’s College, Bachelor of Arts, Foundation Year Program
- Sponsor: Commissionaire Garry Renton (grandfather) from New Brunswick & Prince Edward Island Division
- St Mary’s University, Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology
- Sponsor: Commissionaire Chris Duncan (father) from Victoria, the Islands and Yukon Division
- Trent University, Biomedical Science
- Sponsor: Commissionaire Philip Williams (father) from Kingston & Region Division
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, Radio and Television
- Sponsor: Susan McKee (mother) from Northern Alberta Division
The Commissionaires National Bursary Program is administered by the National Honours and Awards Committee to provide post-secondary funding support for commissionaires and their immediate family members (spouses, children, and grandchildren of serving commissionaires). A call for applications is issued each spring and funding is awarded before the start of the school year.
The bursaries are made possible with the generous support of our partners, The Bank of Montreal, The Personal and Heroes Vacation Club.